A little while back I asked this question on Twitter. I was interested in how other people’s first experiences with PHP compared with my own. I got some great responses – from funny to completely honest. Here’s the list:
- Skoop: I didn’t choose PHP, PHP chose me (nice, very zen.)
- Andriess: low entry barrier, and the AWESOME community
- Felixdv: great community, open-source spirit and low barrier but powerful if needed (as of PHP5 )
- DragonBe: in PHP I found my likings, where as Perl left me hanging about..
- Rmehner: Mainly because of deployment issues in the beginning. PHP was everywhere available. (In the beginning I had often web projects)
- lvtrll: The options at the time were PHP or ASP… which would you choose? =P
- ijansch: it was the logical choice (or, to be more precise: it gets the thing done, and quickly.)
- njames: its “FREE” no need for mucking about with licences for VS or IIS or W2K or MSSQLSRVR etc etc #php
- weierophinney: out of necessity.
- padraicb: At the time (1999) PHP happened to coincide with the activities of friends online – seemed natural I’d help them cut and paste
- iephp: I used to do Java and Perl and a friend of mind told me PHP was easy and fun. I tried it out, turned out well
- akrabat: Wasn’t that much choice back in PHP3 days. Perl / CGI didn’t appeal and the only other choice on my host was PHP…
- jlleblanc: someone suggested it in college and it was easy/inexpensive to get into.
- sweatje: My Unix admin pointed me towards LAMP when I was looking for a free alternative to IIS/ASP for a home business accounting system
- chartjes: My first job out of college needed a web site and had no money to pay for licenses for Windows server (this is 1998)
- ramsey: Switched from ASP to PHP b/c I didn’t want to learn ASP.NET, Tomcat was a bitch, & PHP had everything we needed built in (& more)
- calevans: because upgrading from NT to Server 2000 was going to cost me $15,000 + hardware.
I think I got them all, but if you didn’t get to contribute, definitely leave a comment with your first introductions to this great language of ours!